Shankhapushpi with scientific identify as Convolvulus pluriculis, is a prostrate and spreading perennial wild herb which might be found on sandy or rockyground underneath xerophytic circumstances in Northern India and belongs to Convolvulaceae family. It is a horizontal spreading and perennial wild herb discovered commonly on sandy or rocky land beneath xerophytic circumstances and is found extensively on wasteland in plains of Punjab, Chhota Nagpur and Bihar in India. The plant is discovered in all places in sandy and stony areas in India and prefers dry climate. It is found in numerous locations together with sandy and rocky surfaces in North India. It’s obtainable in areas of Southern India, Tropical Africa, Sri Lanka and South Japanese Asia.
In Ayurvedic drugs, it’s mentioned as Medhya Rasayana meaning rejuvenating to intellect or mind. It’s used as reminiscence enhancer and as tranquilizing and anxiolytic properties. Moreover, it encompasses antioxidant, diuretic, antiulcer, anti-diabetic, antimicrobial, analgesic, antipyretic, insecticidal, hypotensive and anti-inflammatory properties.
Shankapushpi herb is the herb which bears sky blue flowers about 5 mm. Leaves are shaped on alternate positions with branches/flowers that are elliptic and about 2 mm in measurement. Branches are unfold across the ground and are about greater than 30 cm lengthy. The plant blooms flowers within the month of September and October and the colour ranges from white to mild pink. The flower’s shape resembles Shankh/
Convolvulus pluricaulis herb is usually found especially within the state of Bihar in India. Congolvulus pluricaulis flowers are sky blue in colour and about 5 mm in measurement the leaves are situated at alternate positions with branches or flowers they are elliptic in shape and about 2 mm in measurement. Convolvulus pluricaulis branches are spread across the ground and could be greater than 30 cm lengthy. The herb produces flowers in the course of the months of September and October which are white to mild pink in colour. The shape of the flower is like “Shankh” (a marine shell) giving it the identify is Shankhpushpi.
Health Benefits of Shankapushpi
Shankapushpi is a remedy for numerous illnesses resembling hypotension, stresses, nervousness neurosis, hypertension and so forth. It manages the production of stress hormones akin to cortisol and adrenaline in the body and lowers stress and nervousness. It also acts as rejuvenation therapy, tranquilizer and psycho-stimulant.
- Neurodegenerative illnesses
Shankhapushpi has memory enhancing property which is helpful in treating neurodegenerative illnesses reminiscent of Alzheimer’s illnesses. It also accommodates anti-ulcer properties and useful for treating signs of dementia, hyperthyroidism and lowers the activeness of liver enzyme.
- Improve memory
Shankhapushpi is the essential pure drugs for enhancing reminiscence duo to the chemical composition that includes phytonutrients akin to Scopoline ß-Sitosterol, Subhirsine, Convolvidine, Convolvine, Convoline, Phyllabine and Confoline. It’s used as a mind tonic and mind stimulator. The common consumption of Shankhapushpi prevents the probabilities of memory loss.
- Hypertension and ulcers
This herb is efficient to fight numerous ulcers which are shaped within the body because of mucous secretions and glycoprotein. It enhances nerve tissues and promotes the quality of bone marrow and nerve tissues. It has anti-ulcer exercise as a consequence of mucosal defensive elements resembling glycoprotein and mucin secretion. It’s studied that Shankapushpi is an help for hypothyroidism.
- Magnificence objective
Shankapushpi is used as a tonic and febrifuge for nourishing skin layers and helps to reinforce beauty. It is used to type decoction with milk and calcium.
- Lower cholesterol
It lowers the level of cholesterol in blood together with phospholipids, triglycerides and in addition eliminates sure varieties of fatty acids found to be dangerous for the body.
- Reduces gastric ulcers
Usually gastric ulcers are prompted when the stomach produce excess amount of acid. It’s often as a consequence of irregular eating habits. The production of extra acid ruptures abdomen lining from inside that causes ulcers and lesions. Research exhibits that Shankhpushpi herb helps to lower gastric ulcers by healing lesions quicker and in addition strengthen mucus membranes and mucosal cells.
- Scale back stress
Shankhpushpi helps to decrease stress ranges and keep the brain in a relaxed state. Animal studies concluded that Shankhpushpi has melancholy and stress decreasing properties.
- Controls neurotoxicity levels
Apart from relieving stress and anti-depressant, Shankhpushpi lowers the toxins impact in brain. Lab research exhibits that aluminium chloride has high degree of neurotoxicity. The extracts of Shankhpushpi lowered neurotoxicity to some extent.
- Acts as analgesic
Shankhpushpi has ache decreasing talents as nicely which helps to cope with arthritis, rheumatic pains and osteoarthritis. Its pain killer effects are just like morphine induced ones.
- Treats hyperthyroid
Thyroid gland is an important gland that regulates metabolism fee within the body by producing thyroid hormones. The surplus of thyroid hormones outcomes to hyperthyroidism illness. The common intake of Shankhpushpi helps to decrease the probabilities of thyroidism.
- Forestall wrinkles
Wrinkles type on the pores and skin as a consequence of dry skin, lack or moisture and getting old. Shankhpushpi oil helps to manage wrinkles and improve the moisture content in pores and skin. It additionally lowers pores and skin cells degeneration and acts as anti-aging as a consequence of its Rasayana properties.
- Apply the mixture of half to 1 teaspoon of Shankhpushpi powder and honey to face and neck.
- Let it remain for a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes.
- Wash with plain water.
The rise in sebum production can lead to pores clogging that leads to formation of blackheads as well as whiteheads. Applying Shankhpushpi helps to handle pimples. It prevents extra production of sebum, prevents the probabilities of clogging of pores and lowers inflammation.
- Apply the mixture of half to 1 teaspoon Shankhpushpi powder and honey to face and neck.
- Let it stay for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash it with plain water.
- Premature greying and hair progress
Shankhpushpi prevents the hair circumstances similar to untimely greying, hair fall and in addition promotes hair progress on account of its rejuvenating properties.
- Therapeutic massage scalp and hair with few drops of Shankhpushpi oil.
- Repeat this to stop hair fall and premature greying of hair.
- Wound healing
Shakhpushpi helps to heal wounds, scale back swelling and offers normal skin texture. It lowers pores and skin inflammation.
- Boil ½-1 teaspoon of Shankhpushpi powder in 2 to four cups of water until it reduces to 1 cup.
- Filter the liquid and clear the affected space a few times a day for quick wound therapeutic.
Medicinal makes use of
- Traditionally, Shankhpushpi is used for treating insomnia, nervous debility and low power degree.
- The herb is used in type of decoction with cumin and milk in fever, loss of memory and nervous debility.
- It’s a remedy for bowel complaints particularly dysentery.
- It promotes the peace and feeling of calm, good sleep and in addition offers aid from stress and nervousness.
- The plant extract is used for treating hematemesis and insanity.
- Leaves are used for treating asthma and bronchitis.
- Plant roots are used to remedy childhood fever.
- The plant extracts eliminates fluid retention in the body and assist digestion.
- In Ayurveda, the plant is used for treating epilepsy.
- It helps to improve reminiscence and mind.
- In Ayurvedic formulation, it is used for sleeplessness, persistent cough, hallucinations, epilepsy and nervousness.
Methods to use shankhpushpi
- Shankhpushpi Powder with Milk
Take ½ to 1 teaspoon of Shankhpushpi powder with lukewarm milk in the morning. This helps to improve reminiscence as well as concentration.
- Shankhpushpi Juice with Water
Take 3 to four teaspoons of Shankhpushpi juice combined with one glass of water twice a day. This helps to decrease the probabilities of epilepsy.
Take 1 to 2 capsules of Shankhpushpi with milk or water after meals.
- Excess use of Shankhpushpi may cause stomach issues akin to unfastened motion.
- Pregnant ladies and breastfeeding moms should use this herb underneath medical supervision.
- Individuals with low blood strain ought to avoid it because it lowers the blood strain of the body.
- Individuals with sure drugs should seek the advice of the doctor before use.
- Have 2 ml juice of Shankpushpp with honey for treating epilepsy and excessive menstruation.
- For hysteria, epilepsy and delirium, take 3 grams of mixture of Brahmi, Candy flag/bach and Shankhpushpi twice a day.
- For headache, take 1 gram of Shankhpushpi powder and 250 milligrams of Black henbane with scorching water.
- Take the combination of Shankhpushpi powder (2 grams) and black sesame (1 gram) with milk. That is useful for mattress wetting.
- For high blood pressure, take Shankhpushpi juice (10 to 20 ml) every morning and evening.
- Take 10 to 15 ml of Shankhpushpi juice or 5 grams of Shankhpushpi powder for diabetes.
- For vomiting, take the mixture of 2 tsp. Shankhpushpi juice, black pepper and honey.
- Recent Juice of entire plant: 20-30 ml twice a day.
- Dried powder of entire plant: Three-6 grams twice a day.
- Shankhpushpi sharbat: 15-20 ml twice/thrice a day.
- Medhya Rasayana: 5-10 grams twice a day.
- Saraswatarishta: 15-30 ml with an equal quantity of water.
- Brahmi Rasayana: 1 teaspoonful twice a day.
- Shankhpushpi Taila/oil: (For Exterior use only) Apply on the affected areas.