“A from-scratch, bold and flavorful Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken made with fresh ingredients and homemade browning sauce”
Visible Learner? Watch me make this Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken from begin to end!
Welcome to the very first village recipe!! I’ve been teasing about village recipes for over a yr now and the very first one is right here!! Questioning what the heck is a village recipe? Yow will discover out (and take part on the enjoyable) about village recipes right here.
Immediately it’s all about this BOMB Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken!!!
Anytime I’m going to a Jamaican restaurant I all the time get both jerk hen or brown stew hen. Nevertheless, I’ve solely tasted a number of brown stew hen dishes that have been truly filled with layers of daring taste. I’m speaking concerning the sort the place you’ll be able to style the smokiness from the browning sauce, the lingering warmth from the scotch bonnet pepper, and essence of that recent thyme. Ahhhhh, superb.
This recipe has it!
Should you comply with me on Instagram, then you realize I’ve been enjoying round with this recipe for some time now. I’ve used ideas and tips from “the village” aka you guys and that is by far my favourite brown stew hen I’ve ever tasted! I’m not simply saying that to flatter you guys both!
Make Your Personal Browning Sauce, Like For Actual!
To start out this recipe we’ll be making a selfmade browning sauce aka burnt sugar. I LOVE the thought of utilizing coconut palm sugar (thanks for this Charla) for this recipe. You’ll be able to definitely use brown sugar, which is what I often use every time I’m making Southern dishes that require a browning sauce. The coconut palm sugar simply made a lot freakin sense with this recipe although. Sure, you possibly can cheat and purchase browning sauce when you don’t really feel like smoking up your kitchen (as a result of man it will get smokey) however promise me you’ll solely get one with all-natural components. Most store-bought sorts can style actually bizarre and chemically.
Rinse The Chicken…In Lime Juice!
I’ve heard a number of occasions that I MUST rinse the hen in water and recent lime juice earlier than beginning as a result of that’s what occurs in most Jamaican households. I often rinse my hen in salt water so utilizing recent lime was good and the hen appeared to take pleasure in their spa tub. They seemed clear and smelled so recent afterwards lol. I feel I’ll begin utilizing recent lime any longer.
That Chicken Marinade Tho!
This step is tremendous essential as a result of it provides a lot taste to the hen. Season it nicely!! You don’t need to go together with my mix listed. You need to use your favourite smokey all-purpose seasoning. I went with brown sugar, smoked salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Nothing too fancy but scrumptious! I halved my greens and added half of them to the seasoned hen together with a number of sprigs of recent thyme. Refrigerate in a single day. I do 24 hours if I’ve time.
Brown the Chicken
Searing the hen creates a pleasant crispiness to the pores and skin. This avoids the skins having that rubbering texture that stew hen appears to all the time get. You can additionally simply take away the skins however I actually like them! Don’t prepare dinner the hen when browning it although! Simply get that pan loopy scorching and shortly brown the skins. I by accident burned the skins on a couple of items of hen and located that I actually favored the feel, as soon as stewed! Ha! Whodathunkit!
Creating A BOLD Sauce
The ultimate half is creating that wealthy, flavorful sauce! We’re gonna do this by sauteing the remaining recent veggies (not those within the marinade). Chicken inventory replaces the water, and ketchup, extra browning, recent herbs, and the opposite half of scotch bonnet pepper simmers to create a recent, daring sauce. The important thing right here is to play it as much as your style buds upon getting the essential recipe down.
Thicken the Sauce or Nah
From all of my check recipes, I found that I didn’t actually like having a thick, gravy-like sauce. I selected to not thicken the sauce since I favored the thickness it had merely from simmering away with these peppers however you’ll be able to definitely prepare dinner in some flour, cornstarch and even breadcrumbs to get the sauce to your required thickness. Completely a private choice right here!
Now Simply Take pleasure in!
After your hen has simmered away in that scrumptious sauce it’s in all probability falling-off-the-bone tender. Use extra salt (you HAVE so as to add salt to convey out all of the flavors of the sauce!), garlic powder and a pinch of ginger to awaken all of these recent components we used. Add extra recent herbs as a garnish if desired. I served this brown stew hen with cabbage w/combined greens, coconut rice & beans (rice and peas) and mini cornbread muffins. Oh and a glass of Southern candy tea on the aspect ha! Hey, you possibly can take a woman from the south however you’ll be able to’t take the South from the woman!
The Nice Debate: Actual Genuine Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
As with all conventional dish, you’ll ALWAYS have totally different variations. I imply right here within the South, everybody claims to have the perfect and genuine fried hen recipe and buttermilk biscuits. After viewing so many feedback about Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken I can see that very same ardour is alive and properly with this dish and I LOVE IT! Some people say use ketchup, others say don’t! Some people say thicken the gravy, some people say by no means! Some people say to make use of solely scotch bonnet and pimento peppers, some say use quite a lot of bell peppers! Ha! I can already inform I’m going to benefit from the village recipe collection!!
Thanks all a lot for serving to me create our very first village recipe! It’s successful! I’ll be saying the subsequent village on the village recipe web page!
Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
By Divas Can Prepare dinner
Prepare dinner time
- Three.5 lbs hen items, bone-in (washed and dried) *see notice*
- BROWNING SAUCE
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ cup scorching water
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (optionally available)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon ( I used Higher Than Bouillon model)
- 1- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for coating hen
- 1 tablespoon smoked salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon darkish brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- four cloves garlic, chopped, divided
- 1 small white onion, chopped, divided
- 1 inexperienced bell pepper, chopped, divided
- 1 purple bell pepper, chopped, divided
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped, divided
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, sliced in half
- 1 pimento, sliced in half (non-compulsory)
- ¼ teaspoon recent ginger, grated (can add extra if desired)
- eight sprigs recent thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2½ -Three cups hen inventory
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons recent rosemary, chopped
- Further seasonings: salt, ginger &, garlic powder.
- TO MAKE BROWNING:
- Add coconut palm sugar to a saucepan over medium warmth.
- Stir till sugar begins to soften and has the feel of melted chocolate.
- Proceed to prepare dinner, stirring continually till combination could be very darkish brown. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SCORCH! The combination might be very smokey. Scale back warmth if wanted.
- Flip off warmth and slowly add in very popular water, somewhat at a time, whereas stirring.
- Take away from warmth and pour right into a glass measuring cup.
- Stir in vegetable bouillon and salt.
- Pour right into a bottle as soon as cooled. It is now prepared to make use of. Put aside.
- Coat hen calmly in olive oil
- In a bowl mix smoked salt, black pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar, and smoked paprika.
- Sprinkle seasoning combination over hen and therapeutic massage into the hen.
- Add 1 tablespoon of browning to hen and therapeutic massage into the hen.
- Place hen in a big ziplock bag.
- Add in HALF of the recent garlic, onion, inexperienced bell pepper, purple bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, scotch bonnet pepper, pimento (if utilizing) and all the recent ginger.
- Toss in order that all the things is evenly distributed.
- Add half of the recent thyme sprigs (Depart the sprigs entire)
- Refrigerate in a single day.
- Take away hen from the bag (discarding greens) and let the hen come to room temperature. Dry the hen off a bit if wanted earlier than searing.
- Warmth a pair tablespoons of vegetable oil in a big, deep metal or forged iron skillet till skillet could be very scorching and beginning to smoke.
- Sear hen on each side simply till the pores and skin is crisp and barely golden (just a few minutes per aspect) Don’t prepare dinner the hen throughout.
- Take away hen and let drain on paper towels.
- Clear the skillet and soften butter over medium warmth.
- Add the opposite half of the recent onion, inexperienced bell pepper, pink bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper.
- Prepare dinner till tender after which add remaining garlic and prepare dinner till garlic is aromatic.
- Stir in hen inventory and ketchup.
- Stir 1-2 tablespoons of browning.
- Add in remaining recent thyme leaves, recent rosemary, different half of scotch bonnet pepper and different half of pimento (if utilizing).
- Simmer sauce for about 10-15 minutes, scale back warmth if wanted.
- Add hen to skillet.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes coated after which uncover and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes.
- When hen is completed, style the sauce and season with salt, garlic powder and a pinch of ginger.
- If desired, chances are you’ll thicken the sauce with cornstarch or breadcrumbs.
1.) I favor legs and thighs for this recipe. Rinse the hen in cool water and recent lime juice. Then dry it off utterly
2.) Earlier than making the browning sauce, ensure your kitchen is WELL ventilated. It will get actually smokey and in case you have a <g class=”gr_ gr_1336 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace” id=”1336″ data-gr-id=”1336″>sensative</g> smoke detector, it can go off.
Three.) Use a stainless-steel or giant forged iron skillet to brown the hen in. Utilizing a non-stick skillet won’t create a crisp pores and skin.
four.) In case you favor a thicker sauce, you’ll be able to add cornstarch or breadcrumbs.
(perform(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&appId=127475040675773&version=v2.0”;
(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));